When you live in another country and you can't get hold of actual Thai ingredients so I have to adapt and use something we can easily buy from our local supermarket. I've created this recipe for people who want to cook something quick, no fuss, simple ingredients and no need any special equipment at home. ( Apart from mortar and pestle which is very useful to have if you love Thai food)
For chilli paste:
3 Tsp of Hot chilli powder
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tsp of chopped shallot
3 Tsp of chopped coriander stalk
1 Tbsp of Garam masala/curry powder
2 Tsp of chopped lemongrass
1 Lime zest
2 Tsp of grated ginger
1/2 Tsp of Cumin seeds
1/2 Tsp of Coriander seeds
For curry you will need:
1 can of Coconut cream
300g of Chicken thigh (I kept the skin so I can bake them and make cracker)
200ml of Chicken stock or water if you don't have chicken stock
100g of dry Fettuccine Pasta
2 Tbsp of Veg. oil for saute
2 lime juice
3 Tbsp of fish salt
2 Tbsp of Sugar
For garnish you will need:
Some chopped spring onion, fresh coriander leaf, beanspounts, fresh chilli (optional) and some lime juice.
It's so quick so I will write something super simple! As seen on the video.
1) Make a chilli paste (you might wanna invest a mortar and pestle, it's so useful to have) Add everything in and smack it until it turns into paste.
2) Season the chicken skin with salt and pepper and bake on the double baking paper at 180c for around 30 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
Once baked, take it out and let it cool down.
3) Heat some vegetable oil, saute the chilli paste (in this point your kitchen will smell amazing) saute for a few minutes then add sliced chicken thigh.
Cook them for a few minutes then add a can of coconut cream and chicken stock. Let it stew for 10 minutes.
4) Flavouring with fish sauce, lime juice and sugar (Always taste it first before adding anything extra)
5) In a boiling water, cook some Fettuccine paste for 10 minutes then drain it. Add a bit of oil so it won't stick and it's ready to plate.
6) Put them in a bowl, topped with Khao soi curry, sprinkle with goodies garnish. Oh and don' t forget the chicken skin cracker (if there is any left xD ) and voila! You made it!! Delicioussssssss